Home > Personal Technology > Android > KitKat is the new Android distribution leader, Lollipop continues slow ascent
AndroidNewsSmartphonesTablets and E-Readers

KitKat is the new Android distribution leader, Lollipop continues slow ascent

Double-digit land remains a distant dream for the Google OS flavor of the day, while 4.4 narrowly exceeds the combined market shares of 4.1, .2 and .3 for the first time.

Android Lollipop KitKat

The king is dead, long live the king. Launched nearly three years ago and incrementally updated two times before making way for chocolaty Project Svelte treats, Jelly Bean clung to the Android crown past its prime, ultimately yielding to a variant of the world’s most popular mobile platform that’s itself obsolete already.

It’s the normal circle of life and fragmentation, and it doesn’t look like Lollipop can spread soon enough to fix the ecosystem’s biggest flaw. Battery and memory glitches caused numerous 5.0 delays and rollout halts lately, interrupting the port’s encouraging progress from last month.

Still, 5 percent of devices that visited the Play Store during the week ending April 6 ran 5.0 Lollipop, and 0.4 percent were on 5.1. The grand total is a microscopic 5.4 percent, which is nevertheless over two points north of the firmware’s March share.

Android distribution April

Meanwhile, 4.4 KitKat grew an infinitesimal 0.5 percent between March 2 and April 6, from 40.9 to 41.4. Enough to snatch gold, ahead of the steam-losing JB. All three decrepit Jelly Bean renditions slumped, with 4.1 now on 16.5 percent of Androids worldwide (down from 17.3), 4.2 at 18.6 (vs 19.4 last month), and 4.3 the closest to extinction, with 5.6 percent figures (off 0.3 since March).

All in all, Jelly Bean still makes up 40.7 percent of the Google-coordinated landscape. Together with KitKat, we have over 82 percent of the ecosystem dominated by essentially two OS versions. That would be perfect if only KK was the most recent Android installment.

Alas, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread and even Froyo refuse to take their place in history and die, losing a measly 0.2, 0.5 and… 0 percent share between March and April. That’s right, Android 2.2 somehow hangs on to its 0.4 percent piece of the pie, whereas iterations 2.3 and 4.0 manage to eclipse 5.0 + 5.1, with 6.4 and 5.7 percentage points respectively. Now that’s just ridiculous!

Source: Android Developers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Read previous post:
DARPA aims to create software systems that last for 100 years

DARPA has announced an ambitious 4-year program to research means of developing “applications capable of adapting to change, without extensive...

Close