Pioneer has introduced a new internal BD/DVD/CD writer, the BDR-211UBK. The key highlight of the BDR-211UBK is that it supports Ultra HD Blu-ray playback.
While normal Blu-ray discs offer Full HD resolution, Ultra HD Blu-ray offers content at up to 3840 x 2160 4K resolution and a wider range of colors as well. To playback Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, you will need to use the bundled CyberLink PowerDVD14 software. In addition to letting you enjoy 4K Blu-ray discs on your PC, the BDR-211UBK also lets you read and write a variety of BD (SL 25GB/DL 50GB) and BDXL (BD-R XL: TL 100GB/ QL 128GB, BD-RE XL: TL 100GB) discs. Write speeds go up to 16x in case of BD-R single-layer discs, 14x on BD-R DL discs, and 8x on BD-R triple-layer discs. Compatible with Windows 10, the BDR-211UBK lets users change the region of the drive up to five times.
Key features of the BDR-211UBK include:
- Store more data – Support for BDXL media, which stores up to 156% more data than 50GB Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc, including 100GB Triple Layer (TL)³ and 128GB Quadruple Layer (QL)³ discs.
- QuickPlay – BD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs are ready quickly after insertion.
- PowerRead – Through its PowerRead feature, the BDR-211UBK provides smoother movie playback when a disc is marked with fingerprints or has minor surface scratches. When the drive is not able to read through these obstructed areas of a disc, it will quickly move forward to the next available data point, resulting in smoother Blu-ray and DVD movie playback.4
- Auto Quiet Mode – The drive monitors how it is being used and will adjust its disc rotation speed automatically, using a quieter mode (slower speed) when watching Blu-ray and DVD titles or listening to conventional audio CDs.
- PureRead3 – Clicking or popping sounds that might normally occur due to minor scratches and fingerprints on CDs can be prevented on some discs with the drive’s PureRead3 technology, which allows the drive to adjust its optical playback settings dynamically through the use of a unique algorithm.5
- Peak power Reducer – This power saving mode enables the drive to suppress power consumption at peak operation. It keeps stable operation in case of a drop in power supply.
The Pioneer BDR-211UBK will be available for purchase in select markets before the end of this month. In the US, the drive will carry a suggested retail price of $129.99.